Reedville is a fishing village located at the far eastern end of Virginia’s Northern Neck, population around 300. It is located in Northumberland County, which has about 11,000 residents and 2 stop lights. Reedville is named for Captain Elijah Reed, who founded the town in 1874 when he started the menhaden fishing industry, which is still in operation today.
It features historic Victorian mansions built by factory owners and fishing boat captains. Main Street was known as “Millionaire’s Row,” home to wealthy fishermen who made their fortunes from the menhaden that was plentiful in the Potomac and Chesapeake Bay. The Reedville Fishermen’s Museum, in the Reedville Historic District, tells the story of the menhaden fishing industry, the watermen of the Northern Neck, and the Victorian fishing village of Reedville. Self-guided walking tours of the historic district are available from the museum.
Reedville is also a significant charter-fishing center for Chesapeake Bay bluefish and rockfish with more than 50 boats operating out of the area. An official Virginia scenic byway, the Northumberland Heritage Trail, from the Reedville Historic District to the Heathsville Historic District, follows back roads along the Potomac and its tributaries. It crosses the Little Wicomico River via the Sunnybank Ferry. Established in 1906, this is one of two remaining free ferries in Virginia. For several decades, it carried workers to the Reedville menhaden industry. The present metal boat, the Northumberland, began service in 1985.
Reedville Area Attractions
- Reedville Fishermen’s Museum – 1900’s turn of the century on display
- Smith Point Marina – Smith Point Cruises from here
- Buzzard’s Point Marina – Tangier Island Cruises from here
- Fairport Marina – Fairport Rd (252 Polly Cove Rd), Reedville, VA 22539
- Bay Motel – year around lodging close to Reedville
- Gables Bed & Breakfast – Victorian Mansion
- Chesapeake Bay Camp Resort – Tent & RV park
- Reedville Marketplace – (Formerly Tommys) Seafood on the porch overlooking the waterfront
- Crazy Crab Restaurant – 902 Main St, Reedville, VA 804-453-6789
Pull right up in your yacht for dockside service
- 360 Grill – in Burgess on Route 360
- Jennings Boatyard – 169 Boatyard Reedville, VA 804-453-7181